What Should I Do If I’m a Victim of Medical Malpractice in New York?
Make your case matter. Contact New York City medical malpractice lawyer Jonathan C. Reiter.
Knowing what to do if you’ve sustained a serious injury in a hospital or due to a doctor’s mistake can be overwhelming. With so much at stake, you can’t afford any missteps. Fortunately, you don’t have to handle such a complicated and stressful situation on your own. In New York, many medical malpractice victims routinely rely on Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC to make things right.
You might think you don’t need a lawyer to handle your medical malpractice claim. A medical professional clearly made a mistake. You will be fairly compensated, correct? Don’t be so sure. In many cases, many doctors and hospitals deny wrongdoing. Their insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid compensating injury victims. They’ll play the “blame game.” They’ll point the finger at others, including the patient, to avoid responsibility for the error.
Hard-working New York medical malpractice lawyer who delivers results
Don’t assume you will receive the money you need to cover the true cost of your medical malpractice case. Often, insurance companies will make low ball offers and do everything they can to pay injury victims as little as possible.
Don’t let insurance companies push your around. Fight back. Contact us. Call (212) 736-0979 and schedule a free consultation. We’re conveniently located in The Empire State Building in Manhattan. Case results matter here. Contact Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC, today.
We know you must have a lot of questions about your case. That’s why we have compiled a list of some of the most common questions people have when they’re victims of medical malpractice in New York. The more you know, the smarter your decisions. Use this as a guide, and then call us if you have other questions.
Frequently asked questions about medical malpractice in New York
- How do I know if I’m a victim of medical malpractice?
- What should I do if I’m a victim of medical malpractice in New York?
- What if my doctor denies wrongdoing in my New York medical malpractice case?
- Should I contact another doctor if I’m a victim of medical malpractice?
- Who investigates medical malpractice cases in New York?
- Why should I hire a lawyer to handle my New York medical malpractice case?
- When should I contact a lawyer about my medical negligence claim?
How do I know if I’m a victim of medical malpractice?
There are many warning signs that something might be seriously wrong with you due to a doctor’s mistake or another serious medical malpractice issue. You may experience sudden, unexplained illnesses after treatment. You may have unusual pain or an infection after surgery.
What should I do if I’m a victim of medical malpractice in New York?
Most importantly, your health matters most. That’s why we advise people who believe they are victims of medical malpractice to take the following steps:
- Seek immediate medical attention – If something feels wrong, go to an emergency room immediately and demand to see a doctor right away.
- Contact a lawyer – Medical malpractice cases can be notoriously complicated. Don’t try to tackle your case on your own. Contact us. We can help.
- File a complaint – It’s not just your health that’s on the line. It’s everyone else who receives treatment from the same doctor, surgeon or nurse in New York. Speak out!
- Get a second opinion – Don’t just go to the emergency room once. Schedule a follow-up appointment with another doctor to make sure you’re healthy.
- Demand justice – If you have a legitimate medical malpractice case, we can help you take legal action against the person or institution that caused your injury.
What if my doctor denies wrongdoing in my New York medical malpractice case?
Many doctors and other medical professionals accused of medical malpractice insist they did nothing wrong. That’s why it’s important to contact a lawyer immediately if you suspect you’re a victim of medical malpractice in New York. We understand how some people are hesitant to file a claim against their own doctor, especially if they have been treated by that doctor for years or even decades. Remember that everything you discuss with your attorney is confidential.
Our highly-trained attorneys and investigators know how to carefully investigate complicated cases involving doctors, surgeons, nurses, pharmacists and others. We routinely review and analyze medical records in search of the truth. We’re on your side.
Should I contact another doctor if I’m a victim of medical malpractice?
Yes. Get a second opinion from another medical professional. And the sooner you do so, the better. There’s no time to waste when it comes to your health. Any delay could seriously affect your health. Contact another doctor as soon as possible.
Who investigates medical malpractice cases in New York?
Various state and federal government agencies inspect allegations of medical malpractice in New York State. Sometimes, a District Attorney will investigate complaints on behalf of the State of New York. Other times, the New York State Health Department investigates claims.
In every case, it’s critical you have someone on your side looking out for your best interests. That’s why it’s critical you contact the New York medical malpractice lawyers at Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC. We have years of experience investigating complicated cases.
Why should I hire a lawyer to handle my New York medical malpractice case?
Having an experienced New York medical malpractice attorney on your side, working on your case, can often make a dramatic difference. When you hire us, we take an aggressive approach right from the start. Our dedicated team of professionals will:
- Review your medical records for any errors or inconsistencies
- Consult with experts in their field on your case
- Interview witnesses who observed your medical procedure
- Investigate medical professional’s background for history of medical malpractice
- File medical malpractice lawsuit if necessary on your behalf
When should I contact a lawyer about my medical negligence claim?
You should contact an attorney as you suspect you may have a claim. There are many reasons why it’s critical to get a case started promptly. One of the main reasons is that you may lose the right to file a lawsuit if you wait too long. The New York Statute of Limitations restricts the time you have to initiate legal proceedings. While there may be exceptions and each case is different, you generally have 2 ½ years from the date of malpractice or from the end of continuous treatment rendered by the party or entity you intend to sue for a particular condition, illness or injury. One other important reason to act promptly is evidence disappears, memories fade and witnesses may change their stories after weeks or months go by.
Discover what we can do for you. Contact us. Call (212) 736-0979 and schedule a free consultation today. We’re ready and eager to serve you.
Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC
Empire State Building
350 5th Ave #6400
New York, NY 10118