Personal Injury Lawyer in New York City
866-324-9211
Local (212) 736-0979
Available 24/7
中文咨詢熱線: (646) 886-6258
English: 866-324-9211
24小時/7天服務
Offices located in the Empire State Building
辦公地點: 帝國大廈
More than $150 Million Recovered For Our Clients in the US & Around The World

Most Patients Unaware Doctors Cited for Medical Malpractice in New York

The vast majority of patients in New York do not realize that a physician treating them has previously been sanctioned for negligence due to the state's complex notification laws regarding medical malpractice cases in New York, according to a recent study conducted by the New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG).

"There is at present no requirement that patients be informed that their physician is practicing under sanction and/or limitations," NYPIRG analysts wrote in the report recently released and reported on by Buffalo Business First on May 20.

As a result, NYPIRG urged New York lawmakers to pass legislation that requires the state to directly notify patients visiting doctors who have had any limitation placed on their licenses. More than 300 doctors sanctioned for negligence in New York between 2004 and 2013 continue to practice medicine in New York. That figure represents 77 percent of the doctors sanctioned for negligence in New York, according to Buffalo Business First. The remaining 23 percent of doctors sanctioned for negligence in New York had their medical licenses revoked.

Here's another startling finding from the same report: Nearly 60 percent of New York State actions against doctors were based on sanctions taken by other states, the federal government, or the courts, according to Buffalo Business First. As a result, few cases were initiated based on action taken as the result of an investigation initiated by the New York State Department of Health.

Such news came as no surprise to Manhattan medical malpractice attorney Jonathan C. Reiter of Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC. Obtaining information about physicians and medical malpractice cases can often be extremely complicated. And convincing state officials to investigate such complaints can often be a long, bureaucratic process that produces few results. That's why victims of medical malpractice in New York routinely rely on us to thoroughly investigate their complaints and help them hold doctors accountable for their negligent behavior.

Determining whether to sanction a doctor for negligence in New York is an extremely complex process. According to the Buffalo Business First article, 144 members serve on New York's medical conduct board and are available to hear cases against physicians in the presence of an administrative law judge. Usually a three-member panel - two physicians and one "public" member - hear the case and decide the punishment.

But even if the panel decides to sanction a doctor for negligence, that does not guarantee that the patient affected by the doctor's negligent actions will be fairly compensated for his or her injuries and other expenses associated with medical malpractice cases. That's why it's critical that victims of medical malpractice in New York contact us as soon as possible. Building strong medical malpractice cases requires a tremendous amount of evidence due to the high burden of proof in such cases. Our experienced New York medical malpractice lawyers know exactly what evidence to look for, what questions to ask and how to organize all this information into a successful legal case.

Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC, has a strong track record of success involving medical malpractice cases in New York. In case after case, our law firm has helped injury victims and their families obtain millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements.

Some of our more notable medical malpractice verdicts and settlements in New York include:

  • $18 million verdict for brain damage caused by delay of treatment
  • $4 million settlement due to faulty neck surgery
  • $3.5 million for brain damage caused by failure to diagnose pulmonary edema
  • $2.25 million for brain damage due to negligent treatment of skull facture
  • $2.1 million for failure to diagnose prostate cancer
  • $2 million for misdiagnosis of Crohn's disease

For more information about how a medical malpractice attorney in New York can help you with your medical malpractice case, contact Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC. Call 212-736-0979 or visit http://www.jcreiterlaw.comand schedule a free consultation today.

Categories: Posts