Truck Accidents Demand an Experienced NYC Truck Accident Attorney
Manhattan truck accident lawyer Jonathan C. Reiter fights for the rights of injury victims
Have you been injured in a truck accident in New York? Trucking companies not returning your phone calls? Insurance companies pressuring you to accept a settlement that doesn't cover the cost of your trucking accident? Take back control. Contact New York truck accident attorney Jonathan C. Reiter. We consistently deliver results, one case at a time.
Located in Manhattan and serving truck accident victims throughout New York, Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC helps injury victims and their families obtain financial compensation for serious tractor-trailer accidents, 18-wheeler accidents, delivery truck accidents and many other truck accidents throughout New York. We do not rest until justice is served.
Because of the sheer size and weight of large trucks, auto accidents involving commercial trucks often have catastrophic consequences. Passengers and drivers in cars often sustain serious injuries in truck accidents. Fatalities also often occur due to truck accidents.
Make your case matter - We fight for New York truck accident victims
We realize you probably have a lot of questions about your truck accident. We know you want answers. That's why we compiled this list of some of the most frequently asked questions about truck accidents in New York.
Make sure you know all the facts before making important legal decisions. Don't allow insurance companies to push you around and force you to accept a settlement that doesn't cover the cost your accident. Fight back. Contact us.
This may be your only opportunity to obtain compensation for your accident. Seize it. Call (212) 736-0979 and schedule a free consultation. We're ready and eager to work with you. We can also help you investigate trucking company negligence in your case.
Frequently asked questions about truck accidents in New York
- What are the common causes of truck accidents in New York?
- What are common types of truck accidents in New York?
- What types of truck accident injury claims does NYC attorney Reiter handle?
- What truck accident expenses can I be compensated for after my accident?
- Should I call the police after my New York truck accident?
- Should I see a doctor after my truck accident in New York?
- Should I call my insurance company after my New York truck accident?
- Should I accept an offer from an insurance company for my New York truck accident?
- Why should I hire New York truck accident lawyer Jonathan C. Reiter?
Truck accidents in Manhattan and other parts of New York City happen for many reasons. Some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted truck drivers - Truck drivers in New York City face constant distractions - heavy traffic, pedestrians, bicyclists and even horse-drawn carriages. But many truck drivers create their own distractions, such as adjusting the radio, checking a GPS or communicating with truck dispatchers while driving. The most common form of distracted truck driving involves texting while driving, which is against the law. Even so, texting truck drivers sometimes cause accidents in New York, especially Manhattan delivery truck drivers.
- Drunk truck drivers - Drunk truck drivers and truck drivers under the influence of drugs put others sharing the road in danger in Manhattan and elsewhere in New York. The dangers of drunk driving are well documented, but sadly commercial drivers sometimes make the reckless decision to drive while intoxicated.
- Speeding truck drivers - Delivery truck drivers and commercial drivers in a rush in Manhattan or any borough in New York City may cause catastrophic accidents. When they do, the accidents often involve serious injuries or truck accident fatalities.
- Overloaded trailers - Trucking companies rushing to save time or money may pack extra weight onto a truck. Overloaded trucks are difficult to control, especially when a driver attempts to stop or turn quickly. As a result, these overloaded trucks may tip, causing serious truck accidents. Overloaded trucks also can cause tires to blow out.
- Truck brake failure - Trucking companies must maintain their trucks. This includes ensuring the truck's brakes are working properly. Many trucking companies fail to regularly check the brakes on their trucks. As a result, truck brake failure remains one of the most common causes of truck accidents.
- Asleep at the wheel truck drivers - Many truck drivers in New York work long hours. Some do so by choice to make extra money. Others are pushed by aggressive trucking companies to work longer hours. In either case, many tired truck drivers fall asleep at the wheel, causing serious truck accidents in Queens and the other four New York City boroughs. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Hours of Service rules, truckers' driving shifts are legally not supposed to exceed 14 hours of driving in one stretch, but some drivers may ignore driving limits or exceed hours due to pressure from their employers. Most commercial truckers who work 60 hours through seven consecutive days are required to take at least 34 hours off in order to have two full nights of sleep, according to the FMCSA. The FMCSA does list some exceptions.
We handle many different types of New York City truck accidents at Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC, including:
- Rollover truck accident - Top-heavy trucks often tip over and cause rollover accidents, especially on congested highways in New York
- Jackknifed truck accident - New York highway truck accidents often involve the front cab of the truck pivoting 90 degrees, known as a jackknife truck accident
- Rear-end truck accident - Many inexperienced or aggressive truck drivers follow other vehicles too closely. As a result, these truck drivers don't have enough time to stop if other vehicles suddenly slow down, causing serious rear-end truck accidents
- Head-on truck accident - These accidents are among the most severe accidents we handle at Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC. Head-on truck accidents often result in fatalities. We can help your family through this difficult time
Some of the most common New York truck accident injuries we deal with at Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC include:
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation. We regularly recover damages (financial compensation) for:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
If a loved one died in a tractor-trailer accident, we also help your family file a wrongful death lawsuit for your truck accident in New York.
Yes. New York police officers are trained to investigate all types of accidents, including collisions involving cars and delivery trucks, tractor-trailers and commercial trucks. A NYPD officer will also create an official record for your accident so there's no confusion later about exactly what happened when you are pursuing compensation.
Yes. Let a doctor, EMT or another emergency room medical professional decide if you are truly hurt. Some serious injuries are not apparent in the moments or even hours after an accident. For example, you may not realize that have a serious brain injury that calls for immediate medical attention.
Yes. Nearly all insurance policies require prompt notice to be given after an accident, regardless of fault. The at-fault driver's insurance company ultimately should be responsible for paying your accident bills, but there are several coverages on your own insurance policy that you may want to use. The at-fault party's insurance company may be slow to accept responsibility, which means you may need to get help from your own insurer. Your insurance company then will seek compensation from the insurer for the party that caused your accident.
While you should call your insurance company, you should be careful what you say. You can tell them you were in an accident, but don't accept blame or discuss the issue of fault. Give basic facts, such as the date, time, location and names of individuals involved. If you are concerned about speaking with your own insurance company, call us first for a free consultation.
Before you accept any financial offer for your truck accident, make sure you carefully review the details with an experienced New York truck accident attorney. What might seem like a generous offer might not cover all the costs associated with your accident. The first offer is never the best offer. Don't rush to resolve your accident. Make sure you get the money you rightfully deserve.
Experience, dedication and results - that's what sets us apart from other New York truck accident law firms. Our attorneys have spent years handling a range of complicated cases. We work tirelessly for every client. And we have the case results to prove it.
We're willing to do whatever it takes within ethical and legal bounds to help you get the compensation you rightfully deserve. When you contact us, you'll notice the difference right away. We'll take the time to learn about your case. We listen.
We'll communicate clearly with you throughout the legal process. We'll keep you informed. We'll be at your side every step of the way. Demand justice. Contact us today. Call (212) 736-0979 and schedule an appointment.